The following is a message from Dr. Marc Spencer, Summer Search CEO.
Dear Summer Search Community,
Our world is changing quickly. Just last week I was in New York City meeting with our National Board, attending our gala in NYC, and participating in a staff retreat. The coronavirus events were beginning to occupy much of our attention but had not yet completely taken over our daily reality.
Today our staff is working remotely and watching as more and more people are being affected by the virus along with seeing the response from the markets, school districts, community leaders, and politicians. We are entering a public health challenge that will impact all of us in a myriad of ways.
Like you, myself and the staff of Summer Search are adapting to our new reality and taking precautions to slow the spread of COVID-19 in our communities while continuing to provide programming and support to our students at a moment when our work is more essential than ever.
We have developed a response informed by the CDC, state agencies, and school districts to prioritize health and safety while trying to maintain our programming as much as possible.
To protect our community, we are doing the following:
• Rescheduling planned programming, staff, and fundraising events;
• Working from home beginning next week and suspending work travel;
• Continuing to provide mentoring remotely;
• Discussing potential impacts to summer programming in partnership with our summer program partners;
• Developing revenue strategies and risk management plans;
• Staying in close communications with our community including students, families, alumni, school partners, summer program partners, board members, donors, and supporters.
We recognize that our students need our support more than ever and I’m grateful to our staff and extended community for rising above the challenge of the moment and showing commitment to our young people. It’s inspiring.
I hope and trust that you are all taking care of yourselves, your family, friends and loved ones as well. Please reach out with any questions, thoughts, or counsel.
Dr. Marc Spencer
Summer Search CEO